With the economy still slow, research has noted a huge increase in the number and sales of thrift stores, second hand shopping, and yard sales. Want to get rid of some of the extra clutter? Having a second child? Looking to downsize? Need some extra cash for Deluna Fest? Have a yard sale! Here's our best tips to assist you with your garage sale in the Pensacola, FL area.
1. Obviously weekends are better days for yard sales. I have seen a new trend with Friday afternoon yard sales but haven't seen much activity at these.
2. Expect Early Birds! At our Cordova Square yard sale, we had people lined up at 6am when the sale was clearly posted to begin at 7am. Dont make the mistake of missing out on the SERIOUS yard sales, the early birds, or having people drive right past because your inventory isnt out. Always prepare to have the sale ready 30 minutes to an hour prior to advertised time.
Having the Best Yard Sale you can have:
1. Encourage your neighbors, friends, and family to join in with you! The more stuff you have, the more shoppers you are likely to get. Typically some larger subdivisions host annual yard sales.
2. Have everything priced, or set on set price tables with corresponding stickers.
3. Make sure to have plastic bags or boxes for merchandise to be taken away in. If you have a bunch of small items, bundle them together!
4. Always carry change! Don't use large bills.
5. Make sure to designatre proper parking space and make sure your home owners association and neighbors allow for it.
6. Make sure all the items you have displayed are for sale or you will upset some customers.
7. Of course, if your house is also for sale or for rent, now is a great time show people your home!
How to Advertise your Yard Sale
1. Advertise it! Don't expect to stick a sign up and have masses come to your sale unless you live in the East Hill area or over in other subdivisions that are desired yard sale spots. Advertise in some or all of the following venues that I've found useful:
- Craigslist (free!) in both garage sales/ and for sale sections. Include pictures of items that you have for sale!
- Pensacola News Journal
- Thrifty Nickel and Thrifty Nickel online
- http://www.gslar.com/ and also has a mobile app for users to search!
2. Proper Signage is a must!
-Choose a color theme, size, and layout and stay consistent in ALL signs!
-Signs should go up for weekend yard sales by Thursday at 4:30 pm and should be removed after the sale.
-Put signs in heavy traffic areas with arrows directing traffic to your sale. Make sure not to block right aways or interfere with traffic.
-Proper signs are the key! Well written signs with bold signs. Make sure to include the full street address, day and time, and arrows on each sign.
What to do with your remaining yard sale items?
1. Contact any of the following nonprofit organzations to donate the items to. Some companies may pick up larger items that are in decent condition including Waterfront Rescue Mission and Vietnam Vets.
2. Make a list of the items that you have and approximate value so the charity organization can provide a donation receipt for your taxes.
Here are some chairtable organizations with contact information:
*Waterfront Rescue Mission- https://www.waterfrontmission.org/gifts-and-services-in-kind 16 West Main Street, Pensacola, FL 32502. (850) 436-7868
*Habitat for Humanity- http://www.pensacolahabitat.org/restore/index.php 5810 N. Palafox St., Pensacola, FL 32503. 850-476-0001
*Goodwill - 4 local locations! http://www.goodwill-easterseals.org/ Main office: Pensacola Store & Community Center located at 15 E Brent Lane, Pensacola, FL 32503. (850) 483-3930. http://www.goodwill-easterseals.org/
And in closing, be like a boy scout: Be Prepared!!
Any questions? Feel free to call us!
Realty Masters of FL
#1 in Property Management and Leasing in Escambia & Santa Rosa Counties
(850) 473 3983 phone
http://www.pensacolarealtymasters.com/ 55 rentals available!
Follow us on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/RealtyMastersofFL