Friday, December 12, 2014

Dangers of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Dangers of Carbon Monoxide Poising
Tragic case of carbon monoxide poisoning claims the life of three Pensacola residents.

Pensacola residents are mourning the loss of three Pensacola area residents who passed away this week from carbon monoxide poisoning.  We are so sad for this family who suffered poisoning after using a propane heater without proper ventilation. Read more about this story here: http://www.pnj.com/story/news/local/2014/12/11/one-killed-carbon-monoxide-leak/20241655/

If you have a gas heater, hot water heater or stove, you could potentially be subject to carbon monoxide poisoning.  A gas leak can occur inside your home from your appliances or outside your home from the main gas line. Carbon monoxide poisoning can also be caused from burning charcoal or wood, This colorless, odorless, tasteless gas is extremely dangerous because it is so hard to detect without a carbon monoxide detector.

Plug in Carbon Monoxide Detector in Pensacola Home
Plug in Carbon Monoxide Detector in Pensacola Home
Protect Yourself

A carbon monoxide detector can be purchased for under $25 from online or at your local hardware or Walmart. If you have a multi-story home, you should have one on each level.

 There are two basic types of carbon monoxide detectors. 
  • Wall mounted, battery operated carbon monoxide detector (either just CO2 or combo CO2 & smoke detector)
  • Plug in (usually with battery back up) carbon monoxide detector
Carbon monoxide detectors expire after 10 years. Check the date on yours to ensure it's still effective.

Wall mounted CO2 detector in Pensacola Home
Wall mounted CO2 detector in Pensacola Home
Warning Signs of a Gas Leak:
  • Carbon monoxide detector alerts
  • You may hear a hissing, leaking or roaring sound
  • You may smell a foul odor
Early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:
  • Headache
  • Nausea and vomitting
  • Weakness and fatigue
  • Chest pains
Tragically, serious cases of carbon monoxide poisoning lead to death.  It is important to recognize the grave dangers of a gas leak and to stay informed with the use of carbon monoxide detectors.

If you suspect a gas leak, immediately vacate your home! Call your gas company immediately and do not re-enter your home until it is safe to do so.  Pensacola Energy's emergency number is (850) 474-5300.

The Pensacola Police Department is holding a blanket drive now through December 22, 2014. Consider donating some new or used blankets to be distributed to those struggling to keep warm this winter.   Bring your donations to 711 N. Haynes St. in Pensacola or call

More Resources:


Thanks and have a great day,
Nicole St. Aubin, Broker Associate
Realty Masters of FL~ #1 in Pensacola Rental Homes!
4400 Bayou Blvd. #58B, Pensacola, FL 32503
Call us at (850) 473-3983
Over 45 Pensacola Rental Homes at www.PensacolaRealtyMasters.com
Like us on facebook ~ Follow our pins ~ Watch our videos

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you~ Enjoy your day and check back with us for more great information on the Pensacola area!