State of Emergency declared in Pensacola from flash floods and heavy rains.
|Flood damage in Crescent Lake neighborhood off Michigan Ave.|
Pensacola received 17-24 inches of rain last night, causing flash flooding that officials say is the "worst they have seen in over 30 years." A record number of lightning strikes caused severe damage and rising waters stunned residents.
Several roads have washed out completely including Scenic Hwy, which are elevated bluffs over Escambia & Pensacola Bay. Escambia County 911 dispatch reports over 4,000 calls in the last 24 hours alone.
We are saddened to see the severe damage to our local homes, non-profits, and businesses. Many of us have suffered deep financial loss and even a life was lost during this storm. Here are some resources to help you with the flooding and damaging winds in Pensacola.
|Flash Flooding caused devastating damage to Gulf Coast homes today including this Gulf Breeze, FL 32561 home.|
To locate a Shelter - http://floridaevacuates.com/locator
Florida 511 Alerts- http://www.fl511.com/Alerts.aspx
List of Road Closures for all three counties: http://www.dot.state.fl.us/agencyresources/emergency.shtm
Red Cross FL Disaster Guide- http://www.redcross.org/find-help/disaster-recovery
Important Telephone #'s Be Ready Escambia- http://www.myescambia.com/beready/important-telephone-numbers
Are you in a Flood Zone? Search FEMA Maps
Power Outage Map Search- http://outagemap.gulfpower.com/external/default.html
ECUA Water Boil Notices- http://www.ecua.fl.gov/advisory
Report water or sewer main breaks by calling 850-476-0480 or after hours call 850-476-5110.
- If you have immediate needs for food, water, basic supplies, and shelter, contact 1-800-RED-CROSS
- To contact the local Red Cross for disaster assistance, visit them at 222 N. Baylen Street, Pensacola, FL, 32502 or give them a call at 850-432-7601. They can provide immediate disaster relief including possibly financial assistance and/or vouchers for essentials.
- You can contact the United Way & First Call for Help- call (850) 595-5905 or (850) 983-7200.
- Residents in Escambia County that need non-emergency assistance can call the Citizens Information Center at 850-471-6600. The FL emergency operations chapter is only responding to people with severe circumstances (safety of children, water above electrical receptors in home, etc.) but can provide information on where to get assistance.
- Residents in Santa Rosa County can report flood damages online http://santarosa.fl.gov/EmergencyNEW/WebDamage.cfm or by calling (850) 983-5360. Santa Rosa County is offering to help with securing a grant or emergency assistance.
- Santa Rosa County Residents who have unmet needs such as housing, food, clothing or other essential services, are asked to contact the Citizen Information Center at call (850) 983-INFO (4636).
who need volunteer assistance with their home repairs and cleanup:· Residents south of the Yellow River please call (850) 490-7399 or visit the Volunteer Reception Center located at the Gulf Breeze United Methodist Church, Fairpoint Campus, 75 Fairpoint Drive in Gulf Breeze from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.· Residents north of the Yellow River please contact the United Way of Santa Rosa County at (850) 623-4507After 72 hours, the government will decide if this is a Federal disaster. If it is a Federal disaster, customers can call FEMA at 1-800-621-3362 or apply online at http://www.fema.gov/apply-assistance You will need to furnish your social security number, annual gross income and any insurance information regarding the property. Once the initial claim has been set up then it will be determined if they qualify for a grant or a low interest loan. Grants do not have to be paid back, but low interest rate loans will have to be paid back.
- For more information about FEMA, Visit www.disasterassistance.gov
- A facebook community Help Flood Victims in Pensacola is a great source of resources for volunteering, dropping off and picking up donated items. https://www.facebook.com/helpfloodvictimsinpensacola They update daily with different volunteer efforts, churches handing out care packages, and more.
- On Monday, May 5, 2014, Farm Share will provide foods and needed goods for Pensacola flood victims. Farm Share will partner with Representative Mike Hill for the emergency distribution. The distribution will from 10 am to 1 pm at the Brownsville Assembly Church, 3100 W Desoto St, Pensacola, FL 32505. The care package will have fresh foods, bottled waters, blankets and needed goods. Also, pasta meal kits will be provided and donated by Convoy of Hope. Local Farm Share volunteers will help hand out all giveaway items to the families devastated by the flood.
- Go www.ob.org to find out how to get volunteers to come help pull carpets, appliances, etc… out of your flooded house. They are also seeking volunteers age 18+ to go help clear debris from houses.
Financial Donations can be made at https://
Be sure to type FLOOD if giving online or write Flood on your check if by mail.
- Call Liberty Church Blue Angel Campus at (850) 453-4318. Please leave a voicemail if no answer and your call will be returned.
To donate financially to these efforts, go to http://www.libertychurch.net/
1. Unfortunately, regular renters insurance does not cover flood damages. Make sure your policy includes a separate policy for flood damages.
2. File a claim by calling your insurance company. It may be days before the adjuster can make it to the home so ask about what emergency precautions they can authorize. Ensure you have photos of any damage prior to removing carpet, tearing out walls, etc. Make sure to keep receipts for any emergency precautions.
3. Take detailed inventory of your damages and personal property. You must have a written list of every item in your home. Also take photos. Get serial numbers off damaged electronics and write brand information plus item descriptions prior to disposing of damaged property!
4. Do not tarp your roof without your permission from your insurance company. Sometimes this causes a need for a full roof when only a repair would have sufficed.
5. Have you heard of Rebuild Northwest Florida? Your home may be eligible for a grant to make energy saving upgrades to your home. Now may be a better time than ever to get that windstorm damaged garage door or back door replaced. Just look into it: http://www.rebuildnwf.org/
For more insurance tips including an insurance claim checklist and how to prepare for your insurance adjuster, visit Be Ready Escambia
If you do not have renters insurance or homeowners insurance, make sure you secure proper insurance prior to hurricane season. Call your insurance agent immediately as many policies have a 30 day hold policy and will not write policies when storms are in the Gulf of Mexico. Renters insurance is so cheap- as low as $30 per month. To secure insurance, call our insurance friends at:
- Eddie Zarahn Insurance Agency- (850) 438-9169 / email@example.com
- Matt Salvator- Salvator Insurance! (850) 932-3459 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- McGraw Insurance Services (850) 476-3745 / http://www.mcgraw-insurance.com/
- Sue Todaro @ Insurance Solutions Pensacola (850) 476-6399 email@example.com / www.insurancesolutionspensacola.com
- State Farm Michael Johnson / (850) 478-7748 / http://www.michaeljohnsonagency.com/
Due to the saturation of water, many septic tanks and sewer systems are malfunctioning. Please limit water usage at this time as flushing or water usage may cause a sewage backup into your home.
Of course, we want to thank our fire, EMS, police, 911, nurses, restoration companies, insurance agents, roofers, all emergency agencies and of course volunteers for your assistance in keeping everyone safe and healthy during this disaster.
Do you want to help?
You can help by donating to the local Bay Area Food Bank who is almost out of supply, as well as donate your time and resources to the local Red Cross. http://www.redcross.org/fl/pensacola
Be safe Pensacola!
Realty Masters of FL ~ #1 in Pensacola Rental homes!
4400 Bayou Blvd. #58B, Pensacola, FL 32503
Over 45 apartments and homes for rent in the Pensacola area.http://www.PensacolaRealtyMasters.com
Like us on facebook ~ Follow our pins ~ Watch our videos